Bimstore – the UK and Europe’s original Building Information Modeling (BIM) library – has unveiled its next generation platform to help lead industry culture change.
The pioneering new platform named ‘bimstore 4.0’ has been designed to break down silos between specifiers and manufacturers, encourage collaboration and champion better ways of working in the built environment.
As well as enabling a ‘smarter community’ to connect specifiers and manufacturers, bimstore 4.0 continues to deliver accurate, quality and compliant BIM content for download, including objects and components in all formats from Autodesk Revit, Archicad, Bentley and IFC.
The launch of bimstore 4.0 is pertinent to the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety 2018 which highlighted deep flaws in the design and construction process. With strong recommendations in the Hackitt Review for more rigour at the front end of the design process, the need for a digital ‘golden thread of building information’, and the future
role of BIM to facilitate this, bimstore 4.0 provides the industry with a platform for culture change.
This year the UK Government will consult on proposals for a ‘digital by default’ standard of record keeping as well as proposals for how duty holders will collect, hold, analyse and make available the data that constitutes a golden thread of building information.
For the first time, bimstore 4.0 provides the burgeoning BIM community with a dedicated space to discuss and debate important built environment industry issues. It does so through new integrated social features including personal profile pages and online discussion forums, so that knowledge and best practice can be shared.
Rob Charlton, Co-Founder of bimstore said: “Over the last 8 years, we’ve continued to invest in innovation to achieve our mission of making buildings smarter.
“Our vision for bimstore was for it not only to be an object library, but a network for specifiers and manufacturers to come together and share both knowledge and information.
“With the launch of bimstore 4.0 we’re strengthening this community because it is only through dialogue and communication on products, standards and the needs of the industry, that key issues and problems can be addressed and better outcomes reached.
“Upfront collaboration, cooperation and coordination is essential to ensure that as an industry we are taking responsibility for the design and delivery of high quality, safe and secure buildings.”
Visit bimstore online.
The main improvements include:
- New social features including user forums and online profiles to encourage knowledge sharing
- An unrivalled range of current, products and regularly updated design-led ‘curated content’
- Improved functionality and usability with more efficient search features and the ability to automatically generate multiple parametric file formats
- A new visual identity to reflect the maturity of digital construction in the sector.
The main improvements to help manufacturers share their information include:
- Improved data management
- Manufacturers can now change the data within their objects without the need for authoring software.
- Manufacturers can now use the same object with data variations across multiple countries.
- More detailed statistics and analysis on how objects are being used
- Upgraded API allowing manufacturers to integrate bimstore into their Product Information Management system.