An award winning developer and regeneration specialist has begun work on 30 new homes close to the historic, grade II listed Mowden Hall in Darlington.
Galliford Try Partnerships North will build 18 three bedroomed and 12 four bedroomed two storey houses, designed to reflect the style of the hall, which can be seen from the site.
The development will be known as Hallside and the company’s housebuilding division, Linden Homes will be on site from September for sales.
The initiative includes a comprehensive landscaping plan with almost 1,700 plants – including 27 new trees – a contribution of over £360,000 towards affordable housing provision in Darlington Borough, improvements to pedestrian facilities in nearby Staindrop Road, maintenance of local sports and recreation pitches and a plan for the upkeep of public open space to be created, which will also afford views of the 19th century Mowden Hall.
The two hectare site – formerly owned by Homes England – was previously occupied by the Department of Education but the office building was demolished in 2017. Located in a predominately residential area, the land is earmarked for housing in the local plan.
Development Director with Galliford Try Partnerships North, Andrew Rennie, said: “The new houses are in a fantastic woodland setting and will help to meet the growing demand for homes in Darlington. Our project will also improve the local environment for public enjoyment, making the most of the setting and enhancing it with a planting programme that will deliver a great place to live in a healthier, better kept wooded area.”
Another initiative by the company, working as part of the Gateshead Regeneration Company partnership was, last year, named Best Regeneration Project – over 71 homes – at the Inside Housing Awards and commended in the Royal Town Planning Institute’s North East Planning Excellence Awards.
Mowden Hall is a red brick Victorian mansion house built in 1862 and added to in the 1870s by the Pease family, in whose ownership it remained until 1928. Marchbank Boarding School was established there in 1935 and it has been the home of other schools and educational operations as well as a war time military base.